Expanding soy production has led to significant deforestation and habitat conversion, particularly in South America, the biggest soy producing region after the USA.
In 2021, Iceland became a signatory to the UK Soy Manifesto. This is an industry commitment to ensure that all soy and embedded soy products in the UK are deforestation- and conversion-free. Iceland has agreed to:
- Set a deforestation and conversion-free commitment
- Ask direct suppliers to adopt and cascade the same commitment
- Integrate manifesto commitments with direct suppliers’ commercial contractual agreements, and support compliance
- Publicly disclose progress
- Encourage harmonised monitoring, verification and reporting.
Our soy footprint
During the financial year 2020/21 Iceland products used 25,302 tonnes of soy.